Annual Midyear Retreat
Wednesday, March 18 - Friday, March 20, 2020
Please join the AASA for this unique retreat that will focus on nourishing and re-energizing our authentic selves—ourselves that fill the various roles we take on in our life in academia. As we enter an era of constant change in healthcare, how do we integrate and develop our faculty and true selves with our everyday practices? How do we grow within our professional identities and not become professionally stagnant? Spending time away from your campus and coming to Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, will offer an opportunity to take off the “expert hat” and to be students and learners on innovative approaches to learning and professional development of faculty and staff via small group activities, large group dialogue and individual reflection.
Retreat participants will engage in personal reflection about their own institution’s strategies for faculty and staff development and explore alternate successful strategies that have worked in other institutions. This retreat is grounded in the idea that in order to be our best at work, we need to navigate the gap between authentic self and professional self in meaningful ways.
Wednesday, March 18th
- 6:00-8:00 pm: Welcome Reception
Thursday, March 19th
- 9:00-10:00 am: Welcome Duke Surgery
- 10:00-10:15 am: Break
- 10:15 am-12:00 pm: Administrator Professional Development-Mentoring 101
- 12:00-1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00-2:30 pm: Wellness Walk – Duke U
- 2:30-4:00 pm: Design Thinking exercise applying learning @ faculty and administrator development for our staff
- 4:00-4:15 pm: Break
- 4:15-4:45 pm: Logistics Review regarding dinner and transportation to UNC on Friday, March 20th
- 5:30-8:00 pm: Retreat Dinner and Drinks,Location TBD
Friday, March 20th
- 7:30-8:00 am: Travel from Duke to UNC
- 8:00-9:00 am: Breakfast & Welcome UNC Surgery
- 9:00-9:15 am: Break
- 9:15-11:00 am: Professional Development
- 11-11:15 am: Break
- 11:15 am-12 pm: Debrief and logistics for Food Truck Rodeo and afternoon wellness walk - UNC
The AASA has secured a room block at the Hilton Garden Inn Durham, North Carolina. BOOK EARLY! Block releases February 18, 2020.
Hilton Garden Inn Durham
2102 West Main St
Click here to reserve your room in the AASA Block.
Questions about the Retreat or the AASA? Contact your AASA Regional Representative!
Tim Roach, Midwest Regional Rep
Nargis Hossain, East Regional Rep
Giana Aluculesei, West Regional Rep
Wendy Webster, South Regional Rep
Questions about registration? Contact the AASA Office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-364-5175
Important Info & Policies
Refunds and Cancellations: Refunds are subject to a $50 processing fee. Sorry, no refunds after March 1, 2020.
Consent to Use of Photographic Images: Registration and attendance at, or participation in, AASA meetings and other activities constitutes an agreement by the registrant to the use and distribution (both now and in the future) of the registrant or attendee’s image or voice in photographs, videotapes, electronic reproductions, and audiotapes of such events and activities by AASA and other third parties, including but not limited the venue, the host city, and the host CVB.