Volunteers are the foundation of the Association of Academic Surgical Administrators. New this year-AASA Committee self-nominations will be done completely electronically. The committee purpose and expectations are provided below. Committee Member terms are one year and run November through November to align with the AASA Annual Conference. Our goal is to ensure that the right members find the right opportunities to engage in a meaningful way with AASA!
Self-nominations through the online registration form closed October 15, 2018.
Still interested in serving? NEW this year, Committees will meet in-person at the AASA Annual Conference over breakfast on Tuesday, October 23rd from 7:15-8:15 AM in Boston, MA. Join us at the conference to learn more about AASA Committees and volunteer for the committee that is right for you.
Purpose: Create and maintain ongoing communications plan. Execute feedback and vision for website
needs and social media. Plan and execute the Cutting Edge Newsletter. Enhance the Online Member Toolkit.
Chair: Bess Wildman
- Actively participate in meetings
- Provide insight on the communications plan and website
- Actively participate in web and social media platforms personally and encourage other members participating
- Write or facilitate writing of one article/piece for a newsletter edition
- Actively participate in generating member tool kit content aligned with education and communications plan
- Assist in recommendations to improve the functionality of the member tool kit
- 1st Quarter; Monthly January-October
- Quarterly Meetings; 1-2 hours/month
The AASA Education Committee focuses on four key areas: Education Plan, Annual Conference; Webinars; and Professional Development. The outline below provides the purpose of each area, member expectations and meeting frequency.
Chair: Christal Moore, Co-Chair TBA
Committee includes: Past President, President, Vice President, Regional Representatives
- Monthly Conference Calls
- Meetings with Annual Conference sub-committee where applicable outside of conference calls
- 2-3 hours/month
- Webinars across year; 1-2 hours/month
Purpose: Create and maintain ongoing education plan to meet member and organization needs.
Chair: Colbey Walker
- Provide insight for education plan
- Provide feedback across year for educational content
- Review surveys and represent member input
- Regional Representative will actively participate and represent their regions
Purpose: Plan content and logistics for annual conference in conjunction with ACS meeting structure.
- Actively participate in monthly planning meetings and invest time/thought planning outside of calls for subcommittee objectives (ex. Celia King, Poster Presentations, Hospitality, Pre-Conference Session, etc)
- Arrive at the annual conference 1 day prior to start
- Network with members and actively engage new attendees during the annual meeting
Purpose: Plan and execute webinars
- Plan and execute webinar per committee member
- Actively participate in webinars
- Market webinars by encouraging other members and those in your network
- Vice President will ensure a minimum of 5 webinars per year are offered
Purpose: Plan and execute professional development training including but not limited to Annual Conference Pre-conference Workshop
- Actively participate in planning and executing professional development training for members
- Attend majority of training sessions and encourage other members to participate
- Hear member feedback for planning of future sessions
Purpose: Provide recommendations regarding financial position and decisions of organization.
Chair: Treasurer, Daniel Ott
- Review budget and provide recommendations to board
- Provide feedback to board regarding financial position and decisions
- Recruit and maintain sponsorships
- Quarterly Meetings (Conference Calls)
- 1-2 hours/quarter
Purpose: Provide recommendations to board and execute ideas that will grow and retain membership within AASA.
Chair: Joellen Buckio
- Identify targets for new members and execute recruitment strategies
- Identify and execute plans for member retention and engagement
- Monthly Conference Calls
- 2-3 hours/month
Standing Rules Committee
Adhoc Committee 2018-2019
Purpose: Recommend changes to the newly formed standing rules to demonstrate organization changes and to provide nimble structure to future organization success.
- Review standing rules and provide recommendations for revisions
- Present to board during January board meeting
- November-January; 10 hours/month